Tuesday 16 April 2013

Learning How To Sew




I am now a proud owner of a sewing machine and teaching myself how to use it...Now I feel like a homeschooling Mumma!

It may look like I know what im doing but trust me I had no idea and was so nervous to even thread the new machine.... I even burnt my finger on the light! What I have learnt is a sewing mistake can end up a great creation in the end - so hang in there!



This may not look that interesting but this is my first attempt of a bean bag. It was made out of a singlet and an old half empty pack of lentils I found stashed at the back of the cupboard. Two things that would have been thrown away now recreated into a toy - Im going to love sewing! Its a skill I cant wait to master!







Now lets not forget I am an absolute beginner and usually I have a disaster that I then turn into a passable creation.
My next try at sewing was meant to be an aeroplane made out of felt and the filling is red lentils (the only filling I had) but I quickly found out that I had made my plane tail a bit to narrow so the filling didn't work and the tail had a terrible bend in it. So after chopping off the tail this is how my version of a rocket was formed. Its amazing what a few buttons and ribbons can hide and enhance!





Having had a week away from my new toy I was eager to try something else. Earlier that week Papa had given me a few old trousers and shirts so I could practice my sewing. I had in my mind that I would like to make a bag but like most of my sewing plans it quickly changed into something kid related and evolved into a tool belt for the boys. To jazz it up a bit I added a buttoning activity on the front! It was super duper simple to make - an old pair of trousers and a few straight lines sewed, add a ribbon, buttons and some felt shapes and VoilĂ !




The sewing machine in my New Favourite Thing and I hope to make many more unique creations...From many more Perfectly Messy sewing mistakes!


2 comments:

  1. Well that is inspirational...I wouldn't know what to do with a sewing machine...I can only hope I am a good beginner just like you - when I finally get a sewing machine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel...It is lots of fun! I still have the machine set to the slowest speed, not yet confident to step it up a notch. I even studied the instructions for a day before attempting to turn on the power. It was like the most amazing thing that I wasn't yet ready to dive into. Im glad I jumped in head first and had a go. I can only get better :)

      Delete