Sunday 14 April 2013

Colouring Salt With Tempera Paint



On one of our trips to the art shop we discovered tempera paint. I had heard of this paint many times while scrolling through art blogs so I thought it was a must have and amazingly very cost effective - Perfect!

So it had sat untouched in my art supplies for a few week now and I decided to get it out and use it to colour salt. I had no idea if it was going to work but thought it would be a great experiment for Master 5.







We purchased the three primary colours - Brilliant Red - Brilliant Blue - and Lemon.















Master 5 was super duper keen to help. I sprinkled some tempera paint onto some salt in a glass and gave him the exciting job of stirring. The colour quickly grabbed hold of the salt and the effect was fantastic!








Time now to pour our coloured salt into our bottles. Using a funnel allowed master 5 to help with ease.















The next colours were done the exact same way.
















Here they are all ready to go... Don't they look fantastic!












Its now time to add some glue to a piece of paper, sprinkle some salt, let it dry and have fun shaking it off to see your amazing art work appear!






I hope you have fun creating your Perfectly Messy!





4 comments:

  1. This looks great Kate! Thanks for sharing your idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie, I just recently bought some salt shakers to make it easier for the kids to sprinkle onto their designs. Also great for sensory play, the letter 'A' feel divine to touch!

      Delete
  2. Oh what a clever idea. I have tons of tempera paints and this is perfect. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I guessing you could do something similar with sand. I would pre wash the sand first but the colour should still take :)

      Delete