Monday 15 April 2013

How To Make A Spiky Echidna


I have been waiting to blog about this activity for awhile now and finally I can. Please feel free to pin it!


Have you ever had an idea that you just had to bring to life?  


Well with a bit of help from Papa we were able to create my vision - A fun Spiky The Echidna that will help develop Master 5's fine motor skills by using toothpicks to build the echidna's spikes! 

Below are the simple steps to make another Perfectly Messy creation.



To start we found a left over piece of chipboard and I drew a simple echidna shape. No need to be an artist the more simple the shape the better!





This is where I handed it over to Papa and he cut out the shape using his jigsaw. He then added his touch onto the echidna by putting little legs and feet made from screws and washers. (This step isn't necessary but did give our echidna a fun quirkiness)



Time to paint our little friend, my favourite part! I started with a dark brown all over and gradually added lighter browns and finished with a gold to highlight the spikes. Once again I handed it over to Papa to drill the holes for the spikes. I waited nervously hoping that it would work and our echidna survived all the drilling. To my absolute joy he did and looked fantastic!



Now it was time to try out our Spiky The Echidna. Can you add his spikes without being pricked? We are so pleased with our masterpiece! Spiky The Echidna has been very loved in our house!



Have fun creating your Perfectly Messy!


4 comments:

  1. He's so cute, even without the toothpicks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looked better without tooth picks and you should work on making a 3-d one

    ReplyDelete
  4. looked better without tooth picks and you should work on making a 3-d one

    ReplyDelete